Thar Desert, The Great Indian Desert bordering India and Pakistan

Sentinel-2 MSI acquired on 10 September 2023 at 05:56:39 UTC
Sentinel-2 MSI acquired on 12 September 2023 at 05:46:41 UTC
Author(s): Sentinel Vision team, VisioTerra, France -
Keyword(s): Thar, desert, India, Pakistan, sentinel-2, dicraeosaurid, Tharosaurus Indicus, Dinosaur, Indira Gandhi, Canal
Fig. 1 - S2 (09-10-12.09.2023) - The Thar Desert, also named Great Indian Desert, is an arid region in the north-western part of the Indian subcontinent.
Covering approximately 200 000 square kilometers, the Thar Desert spans across India and Pakistan. It is recognized as the 18th largest desert globally and the 9th largest hot subtropical desert.
85% of this desert falls within India's borders, while the remaining 15% is situated in Pakistan. The Thar Desert makes up about 4.56% of India's total geographical area, with a significant portion, exceeding 60%, located in the Indian state of Rajasthan.
Fig. 2 - S2-L1C (09-10-12.09.2023) - The Indira Gandhi Canal (originally, Rajasthan Canal), the longest canal in India.
In the late 1940s, the hydraulic engineer Kanwar Sain envisioned a project to redirect the waters of the Himalayan Rivers, which flow through Punjab and into Pakistan.
His plan aimed to irrigate approximately 20 000 square kilometers of desert land in Bikaner and the northwest region of Jaisalmer, using the stored waters from Punjab's rivers.
Fig. 3 - S2-L1C (04.06.2023) - In August 2023, a paleontological treasure was revealed that sheds new light on the history of dinosaurs.
The discovery, named "Tharosaurus indicus," is a remarkable one. It represents not only the earliest dicraeosaurid dinosaur found in India but also the oldest of its kind globally.
This finding provides a glimpse into the Mesozoic Era, a time when the currently arid Thar Desert was a lush tropical shoreline.